Thursday, June 28, 2007

Fear Not the Night day 7

What does St. John of the Cross mean when he speaks of "passions"? As I read ahead I think his intention is to address worldly desires - they sap our energy, leaving us too tired to walk with God.

I understand small, unreasonable, demanding children; St. John compares my desires with these impossible to please children. They're never satisfied.

We get weary trying to fulfill our desires; we cannot find peace or rest or God.

Lest we Grow Too Weary...

I am so weary! From a quest to fill an empty heart and mind with things. More clutter. It means being surrounded by a cacophony of books and music, exploding drawers and toys on the floor. It means going to bed exhausted and waking tired.

"Come to me all you who are weary and heavy-laden; and I will give you rest. For my yoke is easy and my burden light." He doesn't say we'll rest forever; but when we're refreshed by His Presence, there's work to be done. Thank you, dear Lord , for keeping me just busy enough to prevent the fear from forming.

No comments: