Monday, October 9, 2017

Allegedly

Harrowing. This debut novel by Tiffany D. Jackson is absolutely harrowing. Again, an entry in the young adult genre that is so chilling... I don't want to feed our young people pablum, but a steady diet of stories such as this one... it's no wonder teens are depressed in greater numbers than ever before. This book; Mary Addison allegedly killed a baby in her Momma's care when she was nine years old. She wouldn't speak during interrogation by police, reporters, psychiatrists. She was vilified by the press - by everyone, for Mary was a young black girl who (allegedly) killed a white baby. She was convicted and spent six years in baby jail before being released to a group home (not really a home when you fear for your life). During community service at a nursing home she met Ted. He was home. Soon they were expecting a baby of their own. That's when the trouble started. The state wanted to take the baby. So Mary finally had a reason to talk about what happened the night Alyssa died. But would Momma tell the truth, too? She hadn't yet.

I thought I had this character figured out, but there's a twist at the end I didn't see coming. This book touched a major trigger for me, and will stay with me for a long while. I won't be sharing this one with my kids.

No comments: