Monday, December 29, 2014

Sky: Wonder Struck

I've been waiting for a clear night for this challenge and finally, on the Feast of the Holy Family, it was clear and cold. I spent fifteen minutes outside looking at the moon and the stars. I overlooked some light pollution to do this. I watched an airplane fly over in the night. And I pondered.

I thought of how far God had allowed mankind to come technology- wise. Electricity with which we could "pollute" the night and lengthen our work day.  Amazing! Flying in any manner...incredible! All because God gave us brains and curiosity and ingenuity. What gifts! To be made in His image and likeness!

I considered the stars and the promise made to Abraham. His name was changed and he was given the promise many years before the child of that promise was born. He died before that child (Isaac) had his own child Jacob. He was long dead when Jacob's name was changed to Israel and his twelve sons and thus a nation was born. But Abraham believed. Such faith! And when the real Child of the Promise came generations later He opened the way for me to have that kind of faith as well.

I considered all the promises for which God has been faithful to me. During my first pregnancy I highlighted in my Bible all the verses pertaining to a successful outcome of pregnancy, a healthy child. I had plenty of time, for I was on bed rest for four months.  Then that child was born, at 30 weeks gestation, on the Feast of the Holy Innocents. He weighed 2 pounds, 5 ounces. He was in the NICU  for 45 days. And he came home healthy. This year his birth feast day was superseded by the Feast of the Holy Family. He is eighteen years old on this birthday and a good man. Those promises I highlighted all came true. Despite my lack of faith. Or because my husband has the faith of Abraham. He never wavered though I worried.

My husband is another promise God fulfilled. I would be enumerating forever if I tried to count all the promises He has honored. They are as many as the stars in the sky. I a wonder struck by His faithfulness.

No comments: