Monday, December 26, 2005

Be specific

I noticed in my last post I said to "be specific", but did not give any specific examples. Here are some from one of the latest crises of our family life. Pregnancies have proven difficult for us; our last was the toughest yet. A mild placental abruption landed me on complete bedrest early (I would spend 6 months in bed for this child). Our priest visited every week with the Eucharist, naturally, and with other good conversation. Father asked what we needed; he was very happy that we answered with concrete things. Bill works from home, but I was unable to tend to our four other children from my bed. We needed someone to come into our home occasionally to entertain the children so Bill could have solid blocks of time at the computer. Since Bill and I would both be home to deal with emergencies it could even be a young person, 12 and up or someone who could use service hours. Another time Bill mentioned he was getting bored with the meals he was cooking. Father whispered this in the right ears and suddenly every 3 or 4 days we were getting boxes full of meals to reheat and serve or to freeze for after they baby's arrival. Father asked what he could pray for specifically. Our answer was that I would not have to start insulin injections and that we could carry the baby to 32 weeks. When we reached that goal my blood sugar spiked and I had to begin the shots. My blood pressure began creeping up. The new prayer request became that my blood pressure would stay down and we get the baby to 36 weeks. Our parish prayed us safely there. Even our own prayers need to be specific. The baby was born; money was extremely tight and by December we had raided the depths of our freezer. I stood in our pantry for a heart-to-heart with God. "Heavenly Father, it looks like a meatless Christmas for us this year. I thank you so much for all the food you've provided for us. I ask your help so I may be creative and make a healthy meal for my family. And may it be festive, because my Lord, your Son's birthday is a feastday." Within three days, Father had dropped by with fifteen pounds of venison from a parish donor, and one of the parish men also a member of the Kiwanis Club had brought by a large box of food stuffs, including a turkey. We had a wonderful Christmas feast. Many thanks were given to God, who tells us to ask and it shall be given to us.

No comments: