Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A Funeral for an Owl

A novel by Jane Davis. It took me a long time to get through this book, only because it is the Kindle book I read while waiting at various offices. Jim Stevens is a teacher at an urban London high school. He is badly injured on the job and spends much of his recuperation remembering a seminal event from his youth. He has already shared part of this memory with Shamayal , a teen from the school whom he has befriended. He finally shares the whole story with Ayisha, a colleague. While Jim is in hospital, it falls to Ayisha to protect Shamayal, with mixed results. And as he gets back to work, Jim bumps against his past in an unexpected manner.

The narrative bounces between Jim's present and his past. The chapter headings are clearly marked, but because I was reading the book so disjointedly I would find myself confused. The novel deals with teen runaways, so mind your triggers.

No comments: