Thursday, December 18, 2014

Silence: Wonder Struck

Today's challenge is to sit in God's presence in silence for twenty minutes. Keep a pen and paper handy to write down any names of people who need prayer, verses God brings to mind, etc.

I had a hard time with this challenge. To hush the chatter in my mind... Yes, I was praying, but it was all one-sided. I rarely let God speak to me. A name would come to mind and I was off, like an auctioneer, telling the Lord what He already knows and begging Him to fix things how I think He should. When I could have said, "You know this person's needs; may your will be done in his life" and gone back to listening for my Lord.

Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. This verse came to me as I was praying for my own family. And while praying for myself toward the end of my time? She looks well to the ways of her household.

As difficult as it was to be silent, no prayer is wasted. I remembered many friends in my time with God. I look forward to trying this challenge again to discover the wonder of silence.

No comments: